CMP STIR Goals
- Provide a coherent and comprehensive induction and/or support program for teachers of mathematics that will:
- Increase the retention of teachers of mathematics
- Increase the retention of teachers of mathematics within the school
- Deepen teachers’ mathematics content understanding and extend pedagogical content knowledge
- Increase the leadership roles and/or educational advancement of mathematics teachers
- Establish a collegial and supportive school culture
- Conduct research that adds to the knowledge base on mathematics teacher retention
- Disseminate findings broadly
Research and Dissemination
Extensive research will be conducted throughout the duration of the project to address the following research questions:
- Does mathematics PD improve the retention of these mathematics teachers in the profession?
- Does PD improve the retention of mathematics teachers in their schools?
- Does PD increase the content knowledge and the pedagogical content knowledge of the participants?
- Does PD increase the leadership roles and/or educational advancement for the participants?
Each CMP STIR site has a designated a Research Associate who collects all the data, administers measures and enter information in an online database. Dissemination will include research briefs, presentations at local, state, and national conferences, sponsorship of the 2012 Mathematics Teacher Retention Symposium, and articles submitted to refereed research journals.